Carey High School ~ College and Career Counselor
(208) 578-5020 ext 2129
I am the College and Career Career Counselor at Carey High School. I work at CHS on Thursdays, with students and families to explore and plan for the future beyond high school. Please feel free to drop by, call, or email. I would like to get to know you!
WHAT DOES A COLLEGE AND CAREER COUNSELOR DO?
- Provides counseling services to students and their families focused on decision making, goal setting and issues related to change and self-efficacy.
- Assists students with career exploration based on their interests, personality, and learning styles.
- Provides group and individual counseling services to students to facilitate the educational process.
- Teaches students about what it takes to be successful in post-secondary education.
- Works with the College Aspirations Programs.
- Helps students and parents determine a good college/career fit.
- Teach classes on motivation and goal setting, as well as the relevance and importance of an education through grade 16.
- Teaches about the importance of the world of work to individual well-being.
- Assists students with exploring potential colleges and training programs.
- Provides computer training on career and college exploration programs for students and parents.
- Advises students, parents, and staff on current trends in the job market and higher education.
- Assists students with scholarship options and manages local scholarship opportunities.
- Works with counselors to help students create and maintain a 4-year high school academic plan.
- Promotes district and school wide “College Awareness”.
- Maintains a working network with college admission offices.